Life is what happens to us when we are busy making other plans.
It came to my mind while reflecting – and its amazing how a simple thought helps to get fresh perspective.
We are born on a special day, and one special day we’ll be dead. We usually get average 25,000 days in between the “beginning of life” and “end of life” that we call “life”. This amazing thing “life” is nothing but a major “time pass” problem thrown to us by God.
- Phase 1: The first 8,000 days are not much in our control – parents, friends, schools, study, sports, first love etc. – it builds the base (or not).
- Phase 2: The next 10,000 days are all we get to choose freely, to use this world as a stage & to deliver our show. Only 10,000 days to be somebody, or not. To be remembered, or not. It is when we get a job, get married, buy our house, kids grow up, they get married, we retire from job – all within these 10,000 days. We take up something called “ambition” & “goals” to pass the 10,000 days (and after) effectively. We work hard (or not) to achieve our “goals”.
- Phase 3: Remaining 7,000 days – we watch, and we wait.
We chase various goals during this “life” – but I realized the ultimate goal that all goals chase is: to stay happy. Hence we always strive to create happiness for “our-self” and “others” – the best way to pass our time.
Some basic rules to really “create happiness”, and not to let our conflicting goals come in the way of achieving happiness are:
- Accept the life (stop worrying)
- Detach (stop craving, fearing)
- Calm the mind (meditate)
- Deep satisfaction (inner bliss)
- Karma (do things today to build tomorrow)
- Sense of duty (dharma)
- Organized & Clean
- Intelligent, knowledgeable & curious
- Give (love, joy, hope, attention)
- Deep silence (inner quietness/silence)
- Wise – tap into higher intelligence
Let each of the 25,000 days be special & filled with happiness. Nothing else matters.